A Global NGO Network for Principaeld and Effective Humanitarian Action (ICVA) - Head of Forced Migration
Founded in 1962, ICVA (International Council of Voluntary Agencies) is a global network of over 140 nongovernmental organisations (NGOs) active in 160 countries, operating at global, regional, national and local levels, whose mission is to make humanitarian action more principled and effective by working collectively and independently to influence policy and practice.
The ICVA 2030 Strategy adopted by the ICVA’s General Assembly in 2021 sets the framework for the direction and focus of ICVA’s work from 2022-2030, as we evolve and transform our network. Rooting us more deeply in our mission of principled and effective humanitarian action, this strategy sets our collective values, our ways of working and our aspirational transformations.
We work on focus areas (Forced Migration, Humanitarian Coordination and Humanitarian Financing) to best serve our members and the sector as a whole.
Our added value is rooted in our work explaining & analysing, convening, brokering, influencing & advocating, supporting, and collaborating. Historically based in Geneva, ICVA Secretariat has now presence in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and MENA.
This role is based in Geneva. All applicants must be willing to live and work in Geneva
About the Role
Purpose: To lead on ICVA’s core strategy area of Forced Migration.
Summary of Role
Under the management of the ICVA Director of Policy and part of the ICVA Policy Team , the Head of Forced Migration leads the work in this focus area in agreement with ICVA global strategy. The Head of Forced Migration will work in close collaboration with ICVA Secretariat team, members and other external stakeholders to develop the required interventions that fall under the Forced Migration focus area and shall guarantee their implementation respecting the objectives, timeframe, theory of change and budget allocated. This role has one management responsibilities and is based in Geneva.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Advocay, Policity and Programme Support
- Keeps themselves abreast of legal, policy developments and practices in forced migration and shares relevant information with ICVA members, NGO fora and other stakeholders;
- Develops a good understanding of operations on forced migration issues across regions to be able to represent NGOs perspectives at the global level.
- Ensures that ICVA members and NGO fora voices are represented and
- Supports the Regional Hubs in their engagement with members on forced migration related issues at regional level amplified in the various global discussion on forced migration
- In coordination with the ICVA Regional Hubs visits ICVA members and /or NGO fora in-country to provide support and ensure strong connection between practice and policy;
- Develop advocacy points on country situations or forced migration issues upon request for any targets/ allies of third parties
- Supports the Director of Policy and ICVA Executive Director in positioning the organisation on main humanitarian issues discussed at global level, especially on Forced migration
- Contributes to ICVA’s policy team objectives and other organisational priorities as required by the line manager
Coordination and Collabroation at the Global Level
- Convenes regularly the forced migration working group and organizes other meetings between members and relevant stakeholders to share and exchange on laws, policies and practices in responding to forced migration and protecting the rights of refugees, IDPS, vulnerable migrants, stateless persons, etc.;
- Contributes to strengthen collaboration between ICVA and other core agencies and stakeholders in forced migration, including UNHCR; IOM; Special Advisor on Solution to Forced Displacement etc.
- Leads from ICVA side in co-hosting of the UNHCRNGO global consultations in Geneva and supports the organization of the regional NGO consultation, in strong coordination with the ICVA Regional Hubs
- Engages with ICVA members and NGO fora on topics related to Forced Migration at global, regional and country levels;
Resouce mobolisation and communication
- Regularly reach out to States, donors and other external stakeholders to brief them on ICVA’s work on forced migration and proactively seeks partnership opportunities in this regard
- Leads and contributes to the development, implementation and reporting of programs in line with the strategic priorities and objectives of ICVA's work on forced migration;
- • Initiates, contributes and leads on studies and research on focus migration critical issues, the documenting of ICVA’s work on solution, good practices, etc.
- Management responsibilities for one Senior Policy officer including oversight of tasks and duties and performance management
- At least 12 years of relevant experience;
- Experience in working for and a good knowledge of the NGO sector, if possible with at least of three years of experience in the field and at HQ level on forced migration related programs
- solid familiarity with the work of international and regional organisations with relevant mandate in the area of forced migration
Qualification and Education
- Advanced university degree in International relations, politics, international law or other social studies.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Solid understanding and exposure to various global and regional policy initiatives and mechanisms on addressing forced migration;
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation, project development and budget management;
- Strong communication and public relations skills
- Excellent proficiency in English,
- Ability to work on own initiative, prioritize work and handle pressure;
- Strong team player, culturally sensitive and of a high integrity
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural team
Desirable Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of French, Spanish or Arabic an asset;
How to Apply
ICVA is committed to promoting equity and equality, valuing diversity and creating an inclusive environment. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
ICVA’s selection process includes rigorous background checks and reflects our organisational integrity and commitment to make humanitarian action more principled and effective.
Applications, including a cover letter, CV or resume should be sent by email to Recruitment_1@icvanetwork.org.